Have questions? You're not alone. Browse through our FAQ to find answers to our most common inquiries.

What is the maximum age my child can have for me to sponsor them?

Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements: they’re under 22 years old and they don’t have a spouse or common-law partner. Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition AND they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22. With the exception of age, your dependent child must continue to meet these requirements until IRCC finishes processing your application.

Can I sponsor a sibling?

Generally, No, but you can only sponsor relatives like a brother, sister, aunt, or uncle in very specific situations. Depending on your situation, there are 2 options for whom you can sponsor.

a. You can sponsor an orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild only if they meet all of these conditions:

  • they’re related to you by blood or adoption
  • both their mother and father passed away
  • they’re under 18 years of age
  • they’re single (not married or in a common-law or conjugal relationship)

You can’t sponsor your brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild if:

  • one of their parents is still alive
  • no one knows where their parents are
  • their parents abandoned them
  • someone else other than their parents are taking care of them while one or both their parents are alive
  • their parent is in jail or otherwise, detained

b. you may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

  • you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent
    • grandparent
    • orphaned brother or sister
    • orphaned nephew or niece
    • orphaned grandchild
  • you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above), who is a:
    • Canadian citizen
    • permanent resident
    • registered Indian under the Indian Act

I was previously married, and I have not processed my divorce, can I sponsor my new partner?

This will depend on the circumstances of your case. If you have not divorced your previous spouse but have entered a common-law relationship (you have been cohabiting in a marriage-like relationship for at least 12 months), you could potentially be able to sponsor your partner.

I am in Canada as a student, can I change my status to a worker?

If you have completed your studies and are eligible to apply for a Post-graduate work permit, then you can obtain a work permit through the PGWP option. However, you can also change status within Canada if your potential employer is willing to participate in either the Temporary Foreign Work Program or the International Mobility Program.


If I go to a private institution, am I eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit?

Students are ineligible for a post-graduation work permit if they have completed the following:

  • an English as a second language or French as a second language course or program of study
  • general interest or self-improvement courses
  • a course or program of study at a private career college

A student could potentially obtain a PGWP from a private institution if a Canadian, private institution is authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees, such as an associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree, but only if the student is enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province, which may not include all programs of study offered by the private institution. It is important that you check that your program and institution are eligible.

Can I apply for a study permit while I am in Canada?

If you are applying for a study permit for the first and you wish to apply for a study permit, you can physically be in Canada, but your study permit application MUST be done as if you were applying from abroad. You can only apply from within Canada if you meet certain criteria that allow for an in-Canada application.


Can I study and work?

You and your employer must make sure you can work off-campus without a work permit before you start working. If you start working off-campus but don’t meet the requirements, you may have to leave Canada. You can only start working in Canada when your study program has started. You can’t work before you start your studies. If you’re able to work during your studies, it’ll say so in the conditions on your study permit. During regular school terms/semesters, you can work up to 20 hours per week.